Winter weather is coming and and it may not be a heart-warming experience for you. However, who said it couldn’t be as good as any other season? Having a fireplace in your home is nice for those periodic cold nights. Nonetheless, you should not be carried away and forget all about the safety precautions you ought to undertake especially if you are using a gas fireplace. Relighting these flames could present a challenge that would lead to a catastrophe in your humble abode. No one wants that for his or her home, and hence, having these measures at your fingertips will ensure you rekindle your gas fireplace following the laid down procedures as depicted below.
Just because there’s no soot like in a wood burning fireplace doesn’t mean your chimney is clean. The chimney for your gas fireplace should be properly ventilated and thoroughly cleaned in order to keep the air in your home clean and healthy. If your chimney has not been in use for quite a long time, debris and other clogging matter are bound to accumulate. Therefore, it is highly recommended to clear any blockages before you start your gas fire. This works to eliminate any corrosive substances that could be gorged in the chimney and which is hard to notice by sight and if burned could pose health risks.
Which Logs Are You Using?
Certain gas logs could corrupt your fireplace. Therefore, it is prudent to know the logs you are making use of to heat up your home. For instance, yellow flame logs are known for their realistic look. Just as the natural wood, they produce both carbon and soot. Their heat capacity could be likened to that of standard wood.
The blue logs produce more heat compared to the yellow ones and require no vents. Despite the fact that they burn cleaner and hotter, homeowners are advised to take precautions because they still produce by-products that could react with other chemicals already in your chimney. Hence, it is recommended to check it before lighting your first winter fire thoroughly.
Keep Close Watch For Carbon Monoxide
Burning gas or kerosene is bound to release carbon monoxide into the air. So, as a homeowner utilizing a gas fire, you need to find ways to deal with this challenge? Well, the carbon monoxide emanating from the burning logs is both colorless and odorless. Therefore, pinpointing its levels in your home requires a detector, which could be part of your home’s HVAC system. Erecting one inside your living room or your fireplace and others outside bedrooms is vital for the sake of detecting heightened levels of carbon monoxide. For that first winter fire, testing these detectors before starting it comes in handy to check whether they are functioning optimally.
Now we should be ready to light up the fireplace! Locate your emergency shut-off valve and pilot knob and turn them on. A rush of gas will flow, and once the igniter button is hit, then your first winter fire will be lit. You can begin to enjoy the heat and condemn the gnawing winter cold. If you are having any questions about your gas fireplace please give Torocco’s Cooling & Heating a call.